Thursday, June 12, 2008

Adventures of the Stay-at-Home Mom

I purposefully chose to "take it easy" while transitioning from working mom to stay-at-home mom. I didn't want to jump into classes, lessons, regular play dates, etc. until I had really gotten into a groove at home.
Thought we've definitely had some challenges (including O telling me to go to work & asking his daddy to stay home), it's going rather well. However, I was determined to continue on the "take it easy" routine for a while.

That being said, I joined a play date/bible study group for moms. Great, right? I thought it would be an excellent way for O to spend time with other kids while I could socialize and get support from other moms.
From previous blogs you can see how much I'm really enjoying the bible study, and O is having a blast with the kids.
However, this past Monday I realized that everyone is in swim lessons. (Okay, truly it was maybe 2 or 3 of the mothers who happened to have kids going or coming from swim lessons, but in my mind of "I've got to be a perfect mother" it seemed like I was the only one not providing this apparently essential life experience for my kiddos.) Tack onto this the constant decline from friends for get-togethers because their kids have karate, gymnastics, etc. etc. etc.
Yep, my "perfect mother" syndrome didn't take this too easy.
Needless to say, this morning I enrolled O in swim lessons, karate, and a "Petite Pioneers" experience at a farm. I also attempted enrolling him in rock climbing lessons, and debated on "Storybook Yoga." Rock climbing was full (BUMMER), and the husband finally stopped me before I went overboard with the yoga.
(I did try to enroll E in infant swim lessons, but I haven't yet found dates & times that work with our calendar.)

I am really excited, but it is sad to say good-bye to the "taking it easy" transition period. I have officially joined the ranks as a stay-at-home mom. Hoorah!

No comments: