Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Cuban Black Beans & Rice

I found this recipe at 5dollardinners.com. My version was well more than $5, because I added chicken apple sausages. It still was affordable, and tasted fantastic!
Other changes:
I used 2 cans black beans instead of the dried. I usually have canned beans on-hand for making chili, so I buy them when they're on sale. 
I used less onions--1/2 of a medium onion instead of a whole onion. 
I added cinnamon--about a tsp or so.
Forgot the cilantro, so we did without.

Everyone--kids included--enjoyed this dinner. I think it would be good with a simple (cheaper) turkey smoked sausage, and it would be fine without meat too. I really think it needs more cumin and more cinnamon. Also, peaches or nectarines would work just as well as a mango. So, whatever is in season, and most affordable is what I'd use.

No comments: