Sunday, May 24, 2009

Dinner Just Got Cheaper

You must check out this site: http://www.5dollardinners.com/

I'm going to try her Cuban Black Beans and Rice recipe this week, and I'll report my findings.

We're entering into summer, which means nearly half our income is gone. A majority of my husband's students take the summer off, which means 3 months that we get to eat rice & beans, and beans & rice. As I always prefer to look at the silver lining--we get SO much more husband/daddy time. Nine months of the year he's working 70+ hours a week, so that I don't have to work full time. We'll be using the next 3 months to reconnect and spend time together as a family. I can't wait!

If you have a great money-saving idea, or cheap-but-delicious recipe, PLEASE SHARE! We've already pre-paid to take part in a local farm co-op, so we'll have tons of fresh veggies (along with our own garden). Now I just need some great new summer recipes.

I also recommend you sign-up for Mary Hunt's Everyday Cheapskate newsletter. I did about a year ago, and I've received a lot of great tips--such as:
  • Making your own laundry detergent and household cleaners. Best part--I know what's going in them. Check out: www.soapsgonebuy.com. I'm going to get the detergent kit and soilove.
  • Re-using toilet paper rolls, and lint from the dryer to make fire-starters for camping (I LOVE recycling and re-purposing!)
  • Unplugging energy-holders. Do you know how much energy is wasted in your house by power-strips, televisions, and other devices when they're turned off, but not unplugged? What I've discovered is I am also sleeping better, b/c it's so quiet. No hums or buzzes.

No comments: